Utility Strike Prevention Course
Is dealing with underground utilities a constant issue on your projects?
Civil Contractors often tell us underground utilities are a constant issue on their projects. To help them manage this, we teamed up with a leading Tier 1 civil contractor to create a unique and dedicated course for the civil construction industry. This course guides site crews through industry best practice so they can then confidently manage this issue and avoid accidental and costly damage, project delays, service outages – or worse still, a serious injury or fatality.
About the course
The Utility Strike Prevention (USP) course is the first course of its kind in Australia. It’s dedicated to developing your organisation’s in-house capabilities and knowledge of planning and working around existing underground and overhead utilities. This interactive one-day course includes demonstrations and special presentations from utility representatives – and it can be customised to suit the needs of your people.
Since the launch in 2022, all levels of contractors have attended the course including: BMD Construction, BMD Urban, Georgiou, John Holland, CPB Contractors, Ghella, HEH Civil, Robinson Civil Group, Mite Constructions, and Cord Civil.
We’re proud to say this course is highly recommended by 92% of attendees and 81% say the learnings will influence changes to their worksite procedures.
If you are interested in running this ‘ground-breaking’ course at your workplace, or would like more information about the course, please contact us on 1300 340 017 or email us.
Who should take this course
This course is designed for civil contracting:
- Project Managers
- Site Managers
- Site Supervisors
- HSE Managers
What does the course cover
This course can be tailored to your organisational needs, and can include:
- In-depth explanation and analysis of utility plans
- Understanding the AS 5488 Classification of Subsurface Utilities, and why it’s important
- Specialist sessions with utility representatives (e.g. power, gas and telecommunications) to discuss real site excavations issues, worker safety and answer any of your questions
- Field demonstrations of locating techniques by a Certified Locator including use of EMF equipment, transponder and sondes
- Presentation of a risk management template for efficient utility location.
What is the course format
- One-day Face-to-face presentation with breaks
- Recommended for up to 12 participants
- Participants receive a Certificate of Completion
$195 per person
Upcoming Course Dates
- 21 November 2023
- 12 December 2023
- Brisbane, Murarrie
- Brisbane, Murarrie
- Legal obligations
- BYDA referral service
- Utility locating methods
- Plan interpretation
- Australian Standard AS 5488
- PEX Chart for efficient utility location
- Guest speaker session with utility representatives e.g., power, gas, telco